|September 29, 2004||HOME|
Having done nothing on the RV-7 project since the 12th of September, I was happy to be back at work, even if most of what I had to do was rework.
I roughly marked out another (3rd try) set of wingtip cutout covers.
After roughly cutting them to shape, I trimmed and fitted them until they fit the opening as near to perfect as I could get.
Fortunately, I had started this by making a set of templates for drilling all the holes except the landing light hole. I drilled out the LED positions on all 4 planes.
Bill installed the LEDs while I installed terminal blocks on the inboard wing ribs. There is a little more to be done to secure the wiring, but I'm almost there. I decided on terminal blocks over AMP connectors because I they help secure the wire. They are slower to disconnect, but I'm not planning on removing the wings every day!
I am using limited color coding on the wires. That is, black is always ground, red is always hot etc. There are far too many combinations to color code everything, but a few basic rules should make maintenance easier.
When the LEDs were installed, I drilled the landing light opening and the strobe opening and checked it all for fit. I think it's going to work! If all goes well, there won't be any visible screw heads inside the lens of the wingtip.