|November 9, 2004||HOME|
Beginning the process of closing the right wing, I laid the bottom skin on and checked fit. I found that I still had a few more holes to drill around the pitot port, so I did that and riveted the support bracket in place.
Not ready to rivet yet, but I clecoed the bottom skin in place and checked everything for alignment. I decided not to struggle with trying to avoid blind rivets altogether. I'll just work at minimizing the use of them.
As part of wrapping up the wings, I cut some strips of .025" anodized as backing for the fiberglass wingtips.
Like the rest of the fiberglass parts, I glued the backing around the edges to support the nutplates that will be riveted in place. I used T-88 as the bonding agent.
While the glue was drying and the rivets were resting, I finished up some of the smaller wiring tasks remaining on the right wing. Here, I attached (and then tested) the high-temp socket for the landing light. I crimped the connections, but also used heat-shrink over them to help secure and seal the connection.
Ok, I like the heat-shrink. Here is a spliced ground wire. I soldered it, and used heat shrink to protect it. Actually, I used 2 layers of heat-shrink because it may be subject to some vibration.
Here's another little thing I get carried away with (my husband says it too much of a good thing, but I'm building it my way). When I put together these AMP connectors outside of the fuselage, I like to seal them up with RTV and and tie them together with a pull tie. I don't have to worry about them coming apart at an unfortunate moment.