|September 5, 2008||HOME|
It took several coats of rubberizing to get the texture I wanted for the switch guards. While I was relatively happy with the result, I am beginning to think it would have been better in black. There is plenty of time to make that decision and the fix is easy if I want black.
Moving backward (something I do far to much of), I went to the autopilot pitch servo. Mathew Brandes sent me an email pointing out that the large washer goes on the outside of the rod end bearing as a safety catch in case of bearing failure. I knew that and should be embarrassed that I missed. Maybe I am, I'll think about it.
I made the alteration to the correct washer on both ends of the rod.
While I wasn't paying attention, a new aluminum 2 blade MT propeller arrived in a nice skinny box. I resisted removing it from the box. I selected the aluminum blended airfoil MT because it is lighter than the Hartzel, has not limitations with my engine and is much more durable than the composite propellers.
On to a little panel work, I cut a hole in a scrap sheet of .025" aluminum for the AOA panel indicator and drilled the screw holes. I will use this as a template.
I cut a matching piece in a slightly thicker piece of aluminum and drilled it for the final fit. This plate will be attached to the panel.
I used my crude template to position the AOA on the panel blank.
Demonstrating just how badly I can screw up, I cut a hole for the AOA that looks more like the result of an explosion than precision work. Fortunately, it is undersized to the extent that I can true it up, I think...
O.K., when you screw something up, It's a good idea to move on to something else (preferably something simple) for a while. I installed the Hobbs Meter. This one went smoothly.
Continuing to avoid the AOA, I installed 2 DPDT relays in a wiring box to switch the altitude encoder output between the MFDs and the transponder. More on that later.