January 21, 2012
The throttle cable runs awful close to and above the exhaust along the right side of the sump. I couldn't find an alternative, so I added a small baffle between the exhaust and the throttle cable. It's simply held in place by a stainless steel clamp around the exhaust pipe.
Moving around the airplane, I finished up some riveting I left undone.
The job of fitting all the fiberglass fairings (like wheel pants etc.) has been daunting. The empennage fairing looks like a good fit, but I can see it will take some work to make good enough.
Here, I have done a lot of sanding with 40 grit on the inside to get the edges to mate evenly with the aluminum...
Once I had the fairing fitting pretty tight, I drilled it, added the nutplates and screwed it down.
After tightening the screws, the fit was fairly close and only a little more spot sanding was necessary to bring edges flush.
The bottom of this fairing simply had to have a lay-up to make the air transition smoothly under the horizontal stabilizer. I'll let this set up for a day or two and cut it to shape.
|The page contains Kathleen Evans RV-7 of Redding CA.|